The Emory softball team dropped the opening game of the NCAA Lynchburg Super Regional on Friday, coming out on the short end of a decision to the host Hornets. The Eagles saw their record slip to 34-12 following a 7-2 setback to Lynchburg, who upped their season slate to 37-13.
Lynchburg 7, Emory 2
* Senior Cassie Baca and junior Sarah Katz each hit safely twice as part of Emory's nine-hit attack.
* Baca has registered a team-leading 16 multi-hit games this season while Katz now claims six contests with two or more safeties.
* The Eagles have chances throughout the game and end up leaving 10 runners on base.
* Playing as the home team, Emory scores in its half of the first when senior Jenna Wilson leads off with her third triple of the year and then scores when Katz delivers a single.
* Emory threatens in the second with runners on second and third with nobody out, but Hornets relief pitcher Alex Cisar stymies the Emory rally by retiring the next three batters.
* Emory keeps the Hornets in check until the fifth when they open the frame with five straight hits that gives them a 3-1 lead. Lynchburg adds another score in the inning as a result of a fielders choice.
* Lynchburg generates a two-out, two-run rally in the sixth with RBI singles by Kayla Hugate and Taylor Mabry, extending the Hornets' advantage to 6-1.
* Emory scores in the bottom of the seventh when Sami Feller comes through with a sacrifice fly that plates Katz, who opened the inning with a double.
* Senior pitcher Toko Miller started and took the loss, just her third in 12 decisions this season, tossing four innings and allowing seven hits and four runs.
* Sophomore hurler Madison Schaefer went the last three frames and surrendered six hits and three runs.
* Cisar pockets the win for Lynchburg after throwing 4 1/3 innings of scoreless ball, allowing three hits while fanning two.
The second game of the best-of-three series will be played on Saturday starting at 2:00 pm. A third game, if necessary, will take place approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of the second game.